Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Recessionary Spending

Even before these sad economic times, I've always been the kind of girl who hunts for a deal. Maybe it's being raised by an Asian mom used to bargaining and negotiating for deals, but I invariably get twinges of doubt and regret when paying full price for expensive gear. The good thing about the recession is that there seems to be some deflation going on - more and more deals to be had. My mailbox has been flooded with 20% off coupons, free shipping, buy x get y free type of promotions. In light of the recession I thought I'd share my two cents on looking for discounted outdoor gear.

Outside of these offers, I usually buy discounted gear through two major websites: SteepandCheap and Chainlove. I have absolutely no affiliation with these sites (which are all web portals for backcountry.com). But the kind of things you can buy, and the deals you can get are awesome. The key is downloading the add on applications for the browsers, NOT the desktop alert which is too too slow. It's the easiest way to keep an eye on the deals and to act quickly before things sell out. Steep and Cheap is great for basic outdoor gear and clothing and Chainlove for all your biking needs. The customer service is pretty good too. You can count on seeing some good deals on sunglasses, shoes, and clothing on Steep and Cheap. There's an occasional sleeping bag. More infrequently seen are deals on packs and tents. Chainlove is heavy on the clothing as well, but recently I saw a Titus Racer X frame for 1/2 price.

Another website for biking gear is Pricepoint. I've yet to purchase anything from them, but their prices are pretty good. Not everything is on sale, but the items that are seem to be significantly discounted.

What seems like everybody's go to site for outdoor gear discounts is Sierra Trading Post. I've found them to carry great brands, usually 2-3 seasons old items. Signing up for mailings from the different online retailers (i.e. Moosejaw.com, Backcountry.com, Mountaingear.com) seems like a great way to get junk mail - but overall, I've received more coupons (ranging from 15-30% off) than spam. Also, buying from certain websites also gives you early access to some of their web sales.

Finding deals on climbing gear has been more difficult. I usually check out Northern Mountain Supply for ropes. Most sites will also give you a bulk discount for biners. If you live in SoCal like I do, it's also highly worth the gas money to make the trip out to Redlands, where the FiveTen Pro Shop is open Friday afternoons after 1PM. They also have an awesome sale around Thanksgiving - last year I bought a pair of approach shoes for $25 and climbing shoes for $15. It looks like they have an online outlet now too! I've also found that many local stores are also willing to give you a bulk discount as well, which can be helpful if you're building a rack.

Anyways, those are some of the ways I try to squeeze more gear of my limited funds. If anyone has any other recommendations, share the wealth!

No comments: